The club was founded in 1982 and permission sought to have two mooring trots laid. The Crown Estate Commissioners granted a licence in September of that year and E.D.H Etheridge was commissioned as the marine contractor. On 1st February 1983 the club was invoiced £1810.00 to lay the first ten trots.
Doug Webster was the Club Secretary then and the full licence was granted and signed 7th November 1983. By 23rd August 1983, the club had a Crown Estate Commissioners Grant for 20 deep water moorings, and, in June 1985, the Club requested a further eight additional moorings. September 1987 saw the arrival of a large box, at a cost of £50, to hold tools and maintenance equipment.
In April 1987, the club applied to erect four steel piles in the river and permission was granted in January 1988. With these piles in place, trots A,B, C and D were then installed. Doug Webster was secretary until 1991 when Tony Appleby took over the role. In 2006, the old box was replaced by a new 20ft metal container, and in 2008-9, some new dinghy racking was erected. The club continues to operate at the same level of 20 to 30 boats to the present day.
The design of the Sailing Club burgee, originally created by hand by Jim Hayes of Romsey, was inspired by the presence of the Rising Sun pub at the side of the hard. Although, alas, the pub has long since passed into history, our Club boats today, as then, enjoy the attention of cormorants overflying the area. These two features, the cormorants and the rising sun, have been combined on a bright yellow background, together with the Club initials CHSC.